What is Housing Benefit?

You could get Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if you’re on a low income.  Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent.  How much you get depends on your income and circumstances.  You can apply for Housing Benefit whether you’re unemployed or working.  Housing Benefit can’t be paid for heating, hot water, energy or food. 

How Do I Apply?

If you live in the area covered by Glasgow City Council, you can use their online services to:

  • see how much Housing Benefit you could get if you rent your home
  • see how much Council Tax Reduction you could get if you are the person who is responsible for paying the Council Tax for the home you live in
  • find out if you're entitled to Income Support, Pension Credit or Tax Credits

You can contact the helpline by telephone 0141 287 5050 

Extra Help to Pay You’re Rent

You may also get extra help from your council called a ‘discretionary housing payment’ if your Housing Benefit doesn’t cover your rent.